Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Cost of One's Vices

Another nice thing to say about the new anthologies coming from Rogue Blades and etc. is that they're relatively inexpensive. In the course of my S&S book-buying mania, I have mostly managed to slake my unholy thirsts for less than ten bucks a throw (plus s&h, which doesn't count!), and sometimes for as much as $15.

But now I'm venturing into more expensive waters. Reading Karl Edward Wagner's Kane, still, I see there are two colletions out, one of his novels, one of the short stories.

Gods in Darkness: The Complete Novels of Kane is $39.99, used.
The Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane is $85, used.

Then I see there have been a couple of Kane team-up stories, one of them with Richard L. Tierney's Simon Magus, those stories collected in a beautiful Chaosium collection, Scroll of Thoth: Tales of Simon Magus & the Great Old Ones. But the sucker is $55, used!

One small consolation: I can read the Kane-meets-Elric story in Elric: Tales of the White Wolf for 52 cents.

Well, life is full of choices. Think I'll focus on gathering those crumbly old Kane paperbacks if I can, rather than the shiny new collections. I think I can get the ones I don't have together for...um, let's see...about $60. Gak!

Well, payday's coming.

Onward!

5 comments:

nephite blood spartan heart said...

I was able to snag Gods in Darkness and Midnight Sun almost 5 years ago. I wasn't aware of the Simon Magus collection I am gonna have to try and find that one.

Don said...

It was $15 or something when new, now just over $50. Gak! But Chaosium puts out really cool Lovecraftian type books.

Paul R. McNamee said...

I have a very understanding wife. When I sometimes wonder about all the books I've been acquiring, she says "There are worse habits to spend money on."

Plus, _alot_ of what I've been acquiring have been used at reasonable prices, with some exceptions, of course. (my brother made a gift of 'Night Winds' to me, and while he didn't reveal the price, he said it was pricey)

bradleycarroll said...

Man just keep looking in used bookstores. Srsly the one in Van Buren will be worth your gas money. I will try and get the name for you tonight.

Also:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw="karl+edward+wagner"&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Anonymous said...

I hear you, Don. I almost splurged on the KEW hardcovers at PulpCon in Chicago back in June...until John O'Neill and Eric Knight talked me out of dropping $400 on them. My gratefulness to them knows no bounds :)

I aim to keep RBE's title prices constant for as long as possible - and they'll always have a good word count to cost ratio.

Post a Comment | Feed

Post a Comment



 

Dragons and Swords Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER