Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The later Kane stories

I had an exchange of comment posts following a blog entry I made earlier about Karl Edward Wagner and my fondness for his character Kane. A couple of people responded less than enthusiastically about the small handful of Kane stories set in the modern world -- particularly, "Lacunae" and "Deep in the Depths of the Acme Warehouse" (though most agreed "At First Just Ghostly" is pretty great.)

Anyway, I landed a copy of MIDNIGHT SUN via Interlibrary Loan, the complete Kane short stories, and ... um ... well, guys, you were right.

"Deep in the Depths of the Acme Warehouse" was written for an Elvis anthology, which explains (?) the Elvis penis angle, but as with "Lacunae," I think ... Wagner worked with Kane. Kane was his guy. So when he decided to write these horror stories, he went w/ Kane as the protag. He could have as easily done without and it wouldn't have changed the stories much. Or maybe he just wanted to mess with people's heads, using the character that way. I'm not enough of a KEW scholar to know.

"At First Just Ghostly" is a different case. Horror too, but w/ Kane and his daughter filling in for John Steed and Emma Peel from the Avengers. I rather dug that a lot.

I will say this, too, and possibly it's an unfair comment for me to make, but, okay: when I've been drinking a lot and writing a lot, the characters tend to drink a lot too. I've written entire stories about beer. And I don't think I could've kept up with Cody Lennox in "At First Just Ghostly," though as a creepy story it worked just fine. Likewise the references to Kane's "uber-cocaine" in these stories (and references to "ground coca leaves" made in some of the historical tales: coke's not my drug of choice, but you write about what you know, and given the time period the stories were written, I find that aspect of them very much Of Their Time.

I think the historical Kane tales stand well on their own and the modern ones might best be considered experiments at best, though de gustibus non disputandem est.

6 comments:

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Don

I certainly wasn't trying to disparage KEW in any way-I just didn't care for those 2 stories. But the rest are at the peak of dark fantasy. I treasure my copies of Midnight Sun and Gods in Darkness.

Brother Catfish said...

Oh, I know, and I was prepared to love 'em anyway and write a big defense, but they kinda blew, in a way. I mean, not as straight horror, but as Kane stories, kinda.

Charles Gramlich said...

I didn't care as much for those stories either, and it seemed KEW was reimagining Kane in some ways. I just am more a fan of fantasy in a fantasy setting than the modern day setting. Plus, when he wrote those, Karl was probably drinking way too much.

Paul R. McNamee said...

"At First Just Ghostly" is interesting, to me, especially because it was an aborted novel. Not crazy about the drugs and drink binging of the main character, though.

The other two stories I don't like. It seemed like Wagner was using Kane as a convenient bogey-man that he'd already created.

I like the poem, "Midnight Sun", too.

Don said...

Well, strictly from a character-pov, who knows what we'd be like if we had been around since 4004 B.C. (There's a good quote about that, from Steve Aylett, whose LINT everyone should read (http://www.scribd.com/doc/38738/Steve-Ayletts-Lint). Anyway, the quote: "In America fundamentalist Christians believe the world was created 6,000 years ago - in England people drink in bars that are older than that."

Anonymous said...

Interesting

Post a Comment | Feed

Post a Comment



 

Dragons and Swords Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER